Our Privacy Principles • We will not sell, rent, or license your personal information.
• We treat customer information as confidential, consistent with legal and regulatory requirements.
• We require any person or organization we share data with to protect customer information.
• We do not allow any person or organization acting on our behalf to use our customer information for their own marketing purposes.
• We do not track online behavior at an individual’s level. We only track aggregated statistics to improve our products and services.
Below is a list of Frequently Asked Questions describing how we use and protect the information we collect about our customers.
What information do we collect? We collect customer information based on our business relationship with you and your use of our services. Some examples include:
• Information that allows us to establish your account and to communicate with you, including your name, address, telephone number, and email address.
• Billing information related to your financial relationship with us, including your payment data, credit history, and Social Security Number.
• Electricity usage data recorded by our meters.
• Information gathered when you choose to participate in utility programs, such as those related to energy efficiency.
How is the information collected? We collect customer information in a variety of ways, including:
• When you contact us to set up or manage your home or business electric account.
• When you choose to participate in a utility program, such as those related to energy efficiency, load management, or school programs.
• When you use electricity, usage data is recorded by our meters.
• When we interact with third parties, such as credit agencies. For instance, we may disclose customer information for the purposes of collecting account balances or otherwise investigating, prosecuting or defending claims relating to a subject customer’s account.
Why is the information collected? We use customer information to establish and maintain your account and inform you about your energy usage, as well as to manage, provide, customize, and improve our services and business operations.
Do we share the information we collect? Hawaiian Electric Company, Maui Electric Company and Hawaii Electric Light Company share customer information for business purposes only. This can include affiliates and subsidiaries for purposes of providing electrical and customer service. We also share customer information when third parties are used to provide customer care, technology, and other services. We require any affiliate, subsidiary, or third-party organization that we do business with to have data security measures in place to protect and secure this data.
Disclosure of customer information may be required by regulatory processes through the Hawaii State Public Utility Commission and government agencies. It may also be required by legal processes, such as a search warrant, subpoena, or court order. We may need to disclose customer information in certain exceptional circumstances. This may be needed to protect against malicious and/or unauthorized access, to protect legal rights or to address actual or threatened illegal or harmful conduct.
How do we ensure the collected data is secure? We apply administrative, physical, and technical precautions to safeguard customer information. In accordance with the industry standards, we operate with restricted access to data and we have implemented commercially appropriate security controls to protect customer information when it is stored or transmitted. While no computer system is completely secure, we believe the measures implemented reduce the likelihood of security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved.
A note about "cookies" and internet browsers A cookie is a small amount of data that often includes an anonymous unique identifier. Cookies are sent from a website to your internet browser and stored on your computer's hard drive. Each web site you may visit can send its own cookie to your browser, if your browser's preferences allow it. We use a cookie to recognize you as a return visitor to our site for statistical reporting.
We also collect standard information available from your browser, including the type of browser you use (for example, Internet Explorer), and the operating system of your computer (for example, Windows) how you got to our website (for example, from a search engine or a link). This information helps us ensure that our web site accommodates our users’ computer configurations and information needs and to improve customer service. We also store the IP address assigned by your Internet Service Provider. We keep this for a limited period of time to analyze and troubleshoot network or access issues if they occur.
We do not store cookies or collect browser data containing your personal information.
A special note about children This Web site contains energy-related information that may be of educational interest to children. We do not intend to gather personal information online from or about children. We encourage all children and young teenagers to seek consent from their parents before providing any information about themselves or their households to anyone on the Internet.
If you have a question: We want to assure you that we are committed to protecting your privacy. If you have any questions or comments about this Policy, please call us at 808-548-7311, Monday through Friday, between 7:30 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.